The plunger, or ‘French Press’, delivers an enjoyable, easy drinking black coffee. The complexity of the coffee gives the cup a bold but smooth drinking experience.
Method for 8 cup (the large) plunger
- Add 56g (6 tbsp) of coffee ground for plunger (see reference page for grind sizes).
- Pour in 800mL of 96ºC water to fill the Plunger up to ~5cm from the top.
- Let the coffee brew for 4-6 minutes then stir the top ‘crust’ layer allowing all coffee to fall to the bottom.
- Insert the plunger and gently push down.
- Pour and share with friends (or drink it all yourself).
3 cup 4 cup 8 cup 12 cup Coffee 20g 27g 56g 88g 5 heaped teaspoons 3 heaped tablespoons 6 heaped tablespoons 9.5 heaped tablespoons Water 300mL 400mL 800mL 1300mL
- Grind coffee immediately before use. Freshly ground coffee is so important here.
- Heat your plunger with hot water before use.
- Avoid sediment in your cup by not plunging all the way to the bottom. Push ¾ of the way down.
- Pouring slowly will also limit the sediment in your cup.
- You can use your plunger to make cold brew. Follow the same recipe using cold water and leave in the fridge for 12-14 hours before plunging and decanting.
- If you are having difficulty pushing the plunger down, stop pushing and pull slightly upwards, then continue pushing down.
Want to improve your coffee experience at home? Read these helpful hints.