The Plunger is a classic no fuss approach to making great coffee, very consistently.
Both scraping the crust before plunging and even pouring it through a filter after brewing will remove the gritty mouthfeel that most cite as the key drawback. Highly recommend giving it a go for something new!
What you’ll need
- 45g coarse grind coffee
- 750mL filtered water heated to 90-96°C
- 8 Cup Plunger (or ‘French Press’)
- Add coffee to plunger.
- Pour water over grounds ensuring to evenly soak and to form a crust.
- Allow to steep for 4 minutes.
- Slowly plunge and serve.
- (Pro Tip). After steeping, use the back of a spoon to break the surface of the formed crust with 5 strokes – avoid over stirring. Peel away excess grounds for a cleaner cup and less sludge.