Meaning “pick me up” in Italian, this classic layered dessert is a glorious collision of coffee, cream and biscuits. In terms of how to make tiramisu, preparation is relatively easy.
Tiramisu comprises lady finger biscuits, called savoiardi, that are soaked in coffee and liqueur and layered with a mixture of cream cheese, cream and sugar.
This easy Tiramisu recipe is a real crowd-pleaser and makes a generous 20 portions, curated by our very own green bean buyer, Lloyd Thom. Lloyd recommends using Superior Blend or other espresso roasts such as Dark City to achieve a nice rich flavour, and preparing as a stovetop brew (preferred) or pour over.
Prep time 30 minutes, chill time 4 hours
360ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
1/2 coffee liqueur (Lloyd’s top pick is Mr Black, a bit more expensive but worth it!)
1 x 250gm mascarpone (Lloyd’s top pick is La Casa Formaggio which you can get from Woolworths)
2 x 250g cream cheese, softened (Philadelphia original, don’t mess with a classic)
1/2 cup white sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
48 lady fingers
1 x 600ml tub thickened cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp clear vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder (for dusting)
1/4 cup dark chocolate shavings
- Brew coffee with enough time to cool and take mascarpone and cream cheese out of the fridge to soften.
- Place a mixing bowl in the freezer to chill.
- Combine 3 cups of strong, cooled coffee and 1⁄4 cup of coffee liqueur. Set aside.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer (or some serious elbow grease) to combine mascarpone, cream cheese, white sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1⁄4 cup of liqueur. Beat until smooth.
- Dip a lady finger into the coffee and liqueur mixture. Place dipped-side down into a 30cm x 20cm pan (or similar). Repeat until bottom of the pan is covered.
- Spread a layer of the cheese mixture over each complete row of lady fingers. Dust with cocoa powder.
- Repeat for a second layer. Set aside.
- Remove chilled mixing bowl from the freezer. Use a mixer to combine thickened cream, vanilla and icing sugar. Whisk until soft peaks form and mixture is firm. Do not overbeat.
- Spread whipped cream on top of layer of dessert.
- Dust with cocoa powder and dark chocolate shavings to serve.
- To be a little extra, freshly and finely shave some fancy Dark Chocolate over the top of that bad boy.
- Keep refrigerated or just eat it all straight away, whatever floats your boat.