In many cases milk is 70% to 80% of the coffee beverage itself, so it’s so important we get this right. We want to take you through the step by step process of how to steam your milk at home. This guide is sure not to be missed!
- Choose an appropriately sized milk jug and fill halfway with your milk of choice. Make sure the milk is very cold.
- Purge steam wand.
- Submerge the tip of the steam wand so it is about 10mm below the surface of the milk. Make sure the steam wand is in the upper right-hand corner of the surface of the milk. Tilt the jug slightly to the right.
- Turn the steam on to full pressure. Your milk should now be spinning clockwise, to the right in a “vortex”. If it isn’t, try angling your jug more.
- Incrementally introduce air into your milk by ever so slightly lowering the jug. The volume of milk will increase (or stretch) as you create foam.
- Once you have stretched the milk enough, and you can see the milk reaching approx. ¾ of the way up the inside of the jug, slightly submerge the steam tip to prevent more foam being created. The milk should spin in silence until desired temperature.
- Once milk has reached desired temperature (65 to 68 degrees), turn the steam off.
- Purge and wipe the steam wand.
- Use high quality milk.
- Listen to the sounds your milk is making. The ideal sound you should hear is a “pip-pip”.
- You can practice milk steaming by using cold water. Even add a touch of dishwashing liquid to the water to resemble the froth.