The Stovetop Coffee brewer (aka Moka Pot, or Bialetti) is a staple of many Australian homes. A darling of the coffee industry for its old-world charm and simplicity. It produces a viscous, denser (stronger) coffee. Very Italian in style and pairs very well with milk.
- Using coffee ground for stovetop fill the filter basket so it is level at the top
- Fill the water reservoir to just below the safety valve.
- Place the filter basket into the water reservoir and screw in the top brew chamber.
- Place on your stove (preferably the smallest burner)
- Allow to brew at medium heat setting.
- Once you hear a hissing/gurgling sound remove from heat and serve (ideally with Biscotti).
- Fill the base with water off the boil for better flavour results (Watch out! The base is very hot! Use a tea towel or oven mitts to hold.)
- Use freshly ground coffee for best flavour.
- After removing from heat, run the base under cold water to stop the brewing process. This will reduce bitterness.
- Dilute with hot water to make a long black consistency.
- Use heated milk frothed with a plunger. Added to the coffee, the results are much like you can achieve from espresso machines.
Want to improve your coffee experience at home? Read these helpful hints.